The Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) awarded eight scholarships to industry women, allowing them to join the Network and gain opportunities for professional development, networking and skill diversification.
The 2021 scholarship winners include:
- Jane Ndambiri, Junior Clerk, Taifa Sacco Society Ltd, Kenya
- Gertrude Wambuga, Board Director, Kenya Union of Savings and Credit Co-Operative Ltd (KUSCCO), Kenya
- Charo Jawadu, Business Development Manager, Mudi SACCO, Malawi
- Patience Duduzile Sembereka, United Civil Servants SACCO, Malawi
- Mary Rose Gob, Certified Cooperative Manager, National Confederation of Cooperatives, The Philippines
- Elizabeth Kanyane Khumalo, People Empowerment Co-operative Financial Institution, South Africa
- Rachel Chojnacki, Calcite Credit Union, USA
- Dawn Lepore, Vantage West Credit Union, USA
The scholars will receive:
- A complimentary registration to the 2021 World Credit Union Conference (WCUC).
- A complimentary one-year membership to the Global Women’s Leadership Network.
- A complimentary registration to the 2021 Virtual Executive Readiness Summit (October 27-29).
They are required to attend all GWLN forum sessions at WCUC on July 19, 2021 during the Worldwide Foundation Bridge the Gap series and provide updates to GWLN during the year, showcasing progress and growth in their credit unions. The 2021 scholars will also be joined by the four 2020 scholars representing Ghana, the Philippines, the U.S. and Uganda.
“The World Economic Forum recently reported that it estimates the gender gap will not be closed for another 135.6 years, pushing back the progress on gender equality for a generation,” said Lena Giakoumopoulos, program director for the Global Women’s Leadership Network. “GWLN is focused on actively being part of the solution toward closing gender gaps and investing in credit union women around the globe who find themselves at the core of solutions for their credit unions, communities and homes.”